Testing occupies a significant portion of the software development lifecycle, both in terms of cost and time. Manual execution of test cases is not only a costly and time consuming exercise but is also prone to error. Automation of testing can be the panacea that leverages software tools to execute pre-scripted tests on any software application. Automation can improve the quality of overall software delivery and lead to higher testing efficiency.
Automation can never be a complete substitute for human capacity. We recommend that automation is taken up gradually with initial investment in building a robust test case repository and a well-documented quality assessment process that identifies all test objectives.
Automation can then be considered for activities that tend to be tested frequently thus justifying the cost of automation itself.
Our Automation Expertise
Our automation expertise spreads across multiple automation frameworks that include;
- Business Process Testing (BPT)
- Hybrid Automation Framework (HAF)
- Page Object Model (POM)
- Application Specific Frameworks
We work with commercial off-the-shelf tools as well as open source tools to build the automation framework. Some of the popular tools that we command expertise in include;
- HP’s Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
- IBM Rational Functional Tester (RFT)
- SOAP UI
We have automated testing across multiple technology stacks in the banking and financial domain (cards and payments, core financials, leasing & lending etc) across web applications, windows applications, emulators, simulators, mobile applications as well as web services applications.
Some of the benefits observed by our customers is illustrated below;
We have also invested in building core automation modules that add further value to our customers.
- AutoPoC: One of the automation best practices is to include a Proof of Concept (PoC) during the initial design for any new applications/projects to be automated. This helps in assessing application even before the full design phase. The outcome report from this exercise notifies what addins/patches are required, how many custom properties are present, how many available error pop up are available Our custom tool, AutoPOC reporting utility provides a consolidated report automatically.
- Framework Maintenance utility: For any test automation framework, ongoing maintenance is crucial to keep the automated suite running. This implies that changes to elements/properties within the application needs due change in the automated suite as well. Our framework maintenance utility automatically updates the master object repository (OR) with corresponding changes in the application. This reduces the need to have automation experts constantly monitoring and maintaining the automated suite provided.
- Scriptless Automation Framework: Scriptless automation testing refers to the development of tests in an easily understandable and user-friendly manner. Scriptless testing leverages the use of keyword abstraction as input to build test steps sequences dynamically. For example, a test script for a set of user actions is represented by a sequence of easy-to-understand keywords. These keywords are then automatically translated to concrete low-level scripts in memory. Such an approach accelerates the automation design considerably.